for Healthy Communities
and a Strong Economy
Good jobs and a thriving, diverse local economy
Vital County Services
Public Health and Safety
Marsha Porter-Norton, Democrat for La Plata County Commissioner, 2020
Together, we can unite to solve problems and find common ground to help the most people. County Government plays a critical role in creating healthier communities and a strong economy. I am a 4th generation southwest Coloradan and grew up on a ranch in Lewis, north of Cortez. While my roots go deep in this region, your future is my focus. I have a track record and passion for public service.
I have the proven leadership qualities and experience to solve problems. My track record:
* Nonprofit executive director, 6 years
* Business owner; professional meeting facilitator/mediator, 20 years
* Facilitator: Hermosa Creek Workgroup, West Durango District Land Use Planning Group, Eight Corners Solutions Committee and Durango High School Open Closed/Campus Task Force, and many other projects
* Member, 2015 County Fiscal Needs Committee
* Volunteer for 10 nonprofit boards and coalitions
* Co-founder, Community Health Action Coalition and It's About Kids Advocacy Network
* Co-Chair, La Plata Yes on C&D Campaign
* Member: 2016 County Road and Bridge Campaign Issue Committee
* First coordinator for "Firewise Southwest Colorado" (now Wildfire Adapted Partnership)
* Recognized for my leadership with awards from: Leadership La Plata -- Barbara Conrad Leadership Award; Service to Youth Award, Boys and Girls Club of La Plata County; Partner of the Year Award, Colorado State Forest Service.
Thank you to everyone who worked on my campaign and to the voters who elected me as the next County Commissioner from District 2. If you did not vote for me, I will work for you too because working together isn't just a campaign promise. It's who I am as a person and a professional.